I read an article today about dining out with a baby. Chris and I love to go out to eat and do so on a regular basis. And that has not changed since we had Melia. My sisters kids are always well behaved in restaurants, and I think it is because she never hesitated to take them. If kids are taught from an early age how to behave at restaurants, you should be able to take them with you.
I have noticed service is a little different with a baby. You can tell the servers that have kids or grandkids vs. those that do not. I do appreciate the servers that try to be a little more flexible when dining with a baby, and reward them appropriately. You are not getting a big tip just because I am there with my kid, you will get a big tip because you EARN it while I am there with my kid.
The article made a point of telling parents not to "linger" when dining with a kid. I have never been the lingering type at restaurants. Now I really have a reason to finish my meal and leave. What drives me crazy is the servers that are beyond slow. I am happy to eat my meal and leave, just bring me the check so I can go!
We always have snacks, sippy cups and food for Melia when we go to restaurants. I am getting excited about her eating more "table" food because now she can share what I am having. Yesterday we had lunch at a Greek restaurant and I let her try lamb. She gnawed at it for awhile and eventually swallowed it. I LOVE Greek food, so my girl needs get used to it!
I always get emails and Facebook posts from my friends that are servers about how we should act when we go out to eat. So my response to them is, I am teaching my daughter how to behave in a restuarant. She won't learn that unless I take her to a restaurant. So don't give me dirty looks when we get sat at one of your tables. Smile, be friendly, be nice to my child and you will get what you really want - a decent tip.




