Monday, June 13, 2011

Show Me Your Smile!

Show Me Your Smile is the name of the Dora the Explorer book I have been reading Melia to get her ready for her first dentist appointment.  We found a pediatric dentist near the house that a lot of other mommies have recommended - Dr. Blankenship.  I am pretty sure that I was more nervous about the appointment that Melia was.  She was actually pretty excited!

After checking in we were sent to the waiting area to fill out the usual paperwork.  The waiting area actually consists of three different areas.  A traditional waiting area, a video game room for the older kids and a movie theater.  Melia chose the movie theater.  She thought the "big tv" was sooo exciting!

Much to Melia's disappointment, we didn't wait long before being called back.  We were actually called into an office where the dental tech talked to me about what they would be doing and introduced herself to Melia.  At that point, she took Melia by the hand and started to walk back with her.  This is where I was expecting the first hysterics...but she was so busy chatting it up with the dental tech she didn't even tell me goodbye.

I went back to the movie theater to watch The Princess and The Frog while Melia was having her cleaning.  I had seen pictures of the office online, but I really wanted to take a peek.  They don't let parents in the back, but they did let me peek through a window in one of the offices.  If MY dentist office was this cool, I would go back all the time!  Turns out Melia got to watch the rest of The Princess and The Frog while her teeth were being cleaned!
After her cleaning I got to meet with the dentist (yes, the actual doctor) and discuss her exam.  She was very impressed with Melia's teeth.  Melia loves to brush, but doesn't love when mommy does it.  I was concerned that I don't get two good brushings a day, but the dentist said it comes with her age.  As long as I get one decent brushing we should be good.  I am sure the fact that I limit her sugary foods, water down her 100% fruit juice, etc... help with keeping her teeth in good shape even when I can't get a good scrubbing in.

So home we went with our bag of goodies.  A new tooth brush, a notebook from the treasure chest and some dental floss.  Overall it was a great experience.  Just ask Melia and she will show you her smile!!!