We didn't want to start day care with the pacifier, so over the past few weeks I have been making them "disappear". It really has not been hard. Since Melia started teething she has used them more to chew on than anything else.
I never really wanted to get her attached to the binkie in the first place. I knew that breastfed babies should not get a pacifier til at least one month so that proper latch is established. The night before she turned one month was our first trip to the ER. The doctor thought she had a pyloric stenosis, so he sent us to All Children's to get checked out. When we arrived, she was hungry, but they told me not to feed her in case she needed surgery. So I was letting her suck on my finger when the nurse walked in. Now she wasn't crying or fussing, I just knew sucking on my finger was comforting for her. Anyway, the dumb nurse came in and asked me if she used a pacifier, to which I replied "no". Then she proceeds to ask me if that is my choice or Melia's choice. Yes moron - the 4 week old baby told me she doesn't want a pacifier! She proceeded to stick the pacifier in sugar water and put it in Melia's mouth. I did everything I could to not knock the lady out. But that was our introduction to the binkie.
Long story, but she has weaned herself from the binkie and the one from the hospital is the first one going in the trash!




