Monday, June 29, 2009

Day Care / Paternity Leave

Chris goes back to work this week. Melia has been so lucky that her daddy was able to take 12 weeks paternity leave to be home with her. Chris took his leave when I went back to work so we could delay putting Melia in day care. Because it is a holiday week, I took Wednesday and Thursday off so we could delay day care another week.

We put a lot of working into finding the right day care. A place that has some of our same ideals for childcare, convenient location, small child/provider ratio. I think we made a good choice, and I am confident she will get great care there. But I still wish that one of us could stay home with her. Neither of us are in a line of work that provides that kind of income, and I don't play the lotto enough to make that happen.

Because of Chris' line of work, we are privy to lots of details about childcare centers. We have done a lot of homework and I know that this is a safe place. But every day in the news there is something about day cares. Good things... and bad things.... If only the money tree in the backyard would grow!

The worst part about her starting day care is how much I am going to miss. I would miss those things anyway with work, but it would be easier if she had those milestones at home with daddy. She is so close to crawling (I am working with her every night so she can crawl before next week!). She is doing new things every day. I really need to hire a housekeeper because all I want to do when I get home from work is love on Melia.

This part of being a grown up really stinks. I am going outside to plant more money trees!!!