Monday, August 10, 2009

The Big D


The past 6 days we have been in Dallas, Texas. I had a conference here for work. Since Melia is still nursing, she and Chris traveled with me. We haven't been to Dallas before, so we decided to extend the trip a few days.

Saturday night we went to the rodeo. It was pretty entertaining! I wanted to ride a bull, but I have a kid now.

We visited the Sixth Floor Museum - better known as the Texas Book Depository where JFK was assassinated. It was a pretty interesting exhibit. Outside by the "grassy knoll" was a guy sharing conspiracy theories. I love that kind of stuff!

South Fork Ranch is where the tv show "Dallas" was based. They have a museum and a ton of special event halls. We toured the Ewing mansion. The inside shots on the show where filmed in Hollywood, but the rooms inside the mansion have been decorated and themed for the main characters. The master bath was AMAZING!

We spent Monday in Fort Worth. We toured the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. We visited the US Mint and Federal Reserve Bank in Philly, so this was a good tie-in. Then we spent some time at the Stockyards. Melia loved the cattle drive!

The new Dallas Cowboys stadium just opened. We took a stadium tour on Tuesday before we left. I was a Sports Management major in college, so I love this kind of stuff. Amazing facility!

Melia did much better on the flights out to Dallas than coming home. The pilot had a really slow descent which made our ears hurt. She was not a happy camper. Other than that, she pretty much slept the entire plane ride.

It was a relaxing few days in Dallas. Glad to be home. Been there, done that!