Thursday, October 15, 2009

Boo Boo

No, this is not a Halloween post. Last night Melia got a boo-boo on her index finger. She reached to the table and grabbed Chris' soda can. As he grabbed it away from her, the rim of the can slit her finger. It cut her right where the finger bends. She didn't cry but it bled a lot.

I put multiple bandaids on it, as well as wrapping it with paper towel and tape. She kept sticking her finger in her mouth so the bandaids wouldn't stay on. It just kept bleeding thru everything. Because of the recent blood test, I freaked out and took her to urgent care. One of the concerns our ped had was her blood taking a long time to clot, so I was a panicked mommy.
There is a new urgent care center really close to our house. They were fabulous. They took us right back and even filled out my paperwork for me so I could hold Melia. It took a long time for them to get the bleeding to stop. They finally got it stopped enough to apply dermabond.

Of course she is still sticking it in her mouth all the time! I followed up with our pediatrician today because daycare called and Melia is still bleeding under the dermabond. They said to apply firm pressure for 5 minutes (don't cheat) to get the blood to clot. Good luck with that! Holding her hand to get it to stop in the first place made her one unhappy camper!

Follow up from the blood test: Melia's results were 36 seconds on the PTT test. Normal is 16-32 seconds. So she is a little long, but nothing really abnormal. Like I said before, just something else to make mommy worry!