Monday, May 16, 2011

Adventures in Potty Training

Melia has been ready for potty training for a long time.  She started showing "interest" in the potty even before Makena was born.  I used Makena's birth and Melia's possible regression as an excuse to delay potty training.  Then Lisa and I had a long drive to and from Michigan with a car full of kids, then we had a long flight to Europe, followed by a long flight to California.  The next excuse was daycare.  The old daycare had no interest in helping with potty training because she wasn't "old enough".  I didn't want to have regression issues when we switched daycares, so again, I delayed potty training. 

But by the time we started at the new day care, I was ready and Melia was more than ready.  We have used a combinations of suggested methods to potty train.  We started putting her in Pull Ups and telling her they were big girl diapers.  We bought a bag of M&M's for potty rewards.  I put up a sticker sheet in the bathroom.  The rewards were not really motivation for Melia.  I think they actually have made things harder, because she wants an M&M just for sitting on the toilet!

Daycare has been a huge help with potty training.  Melia sees the other kids going and she wants to do it too.  Plus her teacher is very supportive and helpful. 

Last week we officially made the leap to big girl panties!  She has worn them on occasion when we have been hanging out around the house, but never on a regular basis.  But last week I decided she was ready and I sent her to school in big girl panties.  They still put a Pull Up on for naptime and when they go out to the playground.  I am pleased to report that she only had 1 accident all week at school!

I even got daring and took her out to the store in big girl panties.  Of course she thought going potty in the restroom at Target was really fun! 

So the plan now is to continue reinforcing her going potty and wearing big girl panties.  She is getting better at telling us when she has to go, so as long as we are willing to help her get there, she hasn't had many accidents.  My ultimate goal is to get her fully potty trained by the time we run out of Pull Ups at home and at school.  The cost of diapers for two kids is crazy!

Of course, we are planning a family drive to Michigan in June.  I am sure my dad will be excited to have us visit with one less kid in diapers!  I really hope her bladder gets larger and can hold more by then.  Otherwise we are in for a loooong drive! :)