I don't blog about breastfeeding very often even though it is something I am very passionate about. I have been through a lot of ups and downs nursing, especially getting started when Melia was born. I am not anti-formula, I am just very pro breastfeeding.
There were numerous times when Melia was a baby I thought I would just quit nursing. I knew that it was best for her, especially being premature, so I kept making deals with myself. Get to her due date, nurse til I go back to work, nurse til she starts daycare, nurse til she turns one. By the time she was about 7-8 months it was something we both figured out and worked through. I still was not a fan of pumping and struggled with production, but it worked out.
I assumed when Melia turned one she would wean. She didn't. I assumed when I got pregnant and the hormones started flowing she would wean. She didn't. I assumed when Makena was born Melia would wean. She didn't. Now I have become one of those women I NEVER in a million years imagined. A tandem nurser and, GASP, a toddler nurser!
In that time I have also become a lactavist. Proud of women who use their bodies the way nature intended to nurish their children. Supportive of moms that face challenges at work with pumping, or in public trying to feed their baby. The AAP recommends nursing a child until they are at least one and the WHO recommends nursing a child until at least the age of two. I will continue to encourage women who CHOOSE to breastfeed to do so with pride.




