With Makena's 1st birthday fast approaching, and Melia's 3rd not far behind, I am often asked what the girls want or need as gifts. I am so thankful for friends and family that want to celebrate the girls birthdays and holidays. And I am very appreciative of everything they have. This part of the article really sums up the answer to that question well.
That our children deserve to be surrounded by books, nature, art supplies and the freedom to explore them. Most of us could get rid of 90% of our children's toys and they wouldn't be missed, but some things are important-- building toys like legos and blocks, creative toys like all types of art materials (good stuff), musical instruments (real ones and multicultural ones), dress up clothes and books, books, books. (Incidentally, much of this can be picked up quite cheaply at thrift shops.) They need to have the freedom to explore with these things too-- to play with scoops of dried beans in the high chair (supervised, of course), to knead bread and make messes, to use paint and play dough and glitter at the kitchen table while we make supper even though it gets everywhere, to have a spot in the yard where it's absolutely fine to dig up all the grass and make a mud pit.
I know that it is fun to wrap up presents. I love to do it too. But visits to museums, the aquarium and zoo, etc... make amazing presents. The girls learn a lot, while having a great time and spending time as a family. Most of the "things" in the paragraph above are all on my "wish list" for the girls. Yes, they have a lot of books, but in our house they really get read! Melia is starting to get into the "dress up" stage and we are having tons of fun playing pretend. And as much as I cringe when the pots and pans are banged on, I know that it is fun for them and it is how they learn. So I am learning to encourage their musical adventures!
The most important thing on the list is something I hope my girls always know - that they are loved unconditionally - all of the time.




