Thursday, October 27, 2011

Legoland Florida

Legoland Florida opened up this month at the old site of Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven, Florida.  They did a great job preserving a lot of the gardens and updating the existing buildings. (Cypress Gardens closed a few years ago after financial trouble and changes in ownership.) 

Being the thrifty mom that I am, I was able to get us some FREE passes to visit the new theme park this week.  I was a little concerned about crowds between the recent opening and the free ticket promotion.  We lucked out and picked a day that wasn't very crowded at all.  And the weather was beautiful!

Melia is at the age where she is really getting into building things with Legos so she loved Mini-Land.  Mini Land is a huge area filled with replica cities made out of Legos.  Melia was not a fan of the 4-D shows, but Makena seemed to really enjoy them.  Melia is just tall enough to get on the kiddy rides with an adult.  She even got to drive a car by herself at the Ford Junior Driving School!  Makena really enjoyed the Duplo Farm because she actually got to get out of her stroller and explore.  And a lot of the displays were Lego people just her size!

Legoland has really been promoted as a park geared to kids ages 2-12 years old.  I would say 3 is probably a better age.  Most of the rides had height and age requirements that a 2 year old won't meet, even in the kiddy area.  The Duplo section was nice, but not huge.  I did love the fact that their is a lot of shade in the park to help keep you out of the Florida sun.  The park is not huge, compared to other theme parks, but we still were not able to get it all done in one visit.  I am sure there are plenty of more visits in our future!