Friday, February 6, 2009

GERD

For the past two weeks, we have been having an issue with excessive spitup, spit up through the nose, projectile spit up, and excessive hiccups. We have tried feeding smaller amounts more often, holding Melia upright for a half hour after eating, etc... The ped said it sounded like reflux and that we might want to try medication. I am not big into giving babies meds, so I was a little hesitant.

After our check up on Tuesday, he said to keep an eye on things and call if they got worse. Well, it did get worse and more frequent so I called on Thursday afternoon. He said based on the symptoms and her prematurity, it sounded like she had pyloric stenosis. Pyloric stenosis is diagnosed with an ultrasound and treated with abdominal surgery. He sent us to the ER at All Children's. I had a little panic attack. After blood tests and ultrasound, the determined she did not have pyloric stenosis, but she did have GERD.

Melia was prescribed Zantac and will have to take 2 doses a day for the next 30 days. She may have to continue the prescription for a few months. Usually GERD will go away in babies on its own. The ER doc did say to keep an eye on her, because pyloric stenosis could develop sometime in the next 3 months. They said the Zantac could take a few days to work, so we will hope and see!