Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day 12 Dairy Free

Today is my 12th day on the dairy free diet. The adjustment hasn't been that difficult. I am eating a lot more fruit than before. It is amazing how many things contain milk proteins, whey, casein, etc... It is a learning opportunity!

They say it takes 10-14 days for dairy to be out of your system. I think we are already starting to see a difference with Melia. Of course, that could be medication working. Our medication says it works to help with the acid and damage caused by reflux and doesn't actually make the reflux go away. When her current Rx runs out, we are going to wait to refill it and see if we have a flare up. If we do I will put her back on the Zantac. I just really want to know if the milk protein sensitivity is a concern.

I know that this is something she will grow out of, I just hate to see her in pain now. Her face gets beat red, she is very gassy and curls up in a ball. She doesn't cry when the vomit comes through her nose, but it makes her congested. Which in turn makes her uncomfortable at night.

A lot of people have told me their kids had this issue, which makes me feel better. However, one of my girlfriends is still dealing with the problem with her 15 month old. They are now thinking she has severe food allergies. I just pray that this really is reflux she will grow out of in a few months.